Tullahoma, East Tennessee

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 17, 2000
      Dear Group:

      I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga and
      Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have another
      biblio. question:
      What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on the
      Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? (Either or both.)
      I am, you may recall, most interested in a Northern perspective,
      especially cavalry, but will accept your recommendations regardless.

      Yours,
      Madelon

    • Lieberum, Steve
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
        Madelon,

        I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
        college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
        book, just on Tullahoma:

        "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee" author-
        Michael R. Bradley.

        Steve Lieberum
        SELieberum@...

        I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga and
        Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have another
        biblio. question:
        What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on the
        Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? (Either or both.)
        I am, you may recall, most interested in a Northern perspective,
        especially cavalry, but will accept your recommendations regardless.

        Yours,
        Madelon

      • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
          Madelon:
          Bradley's book is the only one I know of specifically on Tullahoma.
          Funny that that such a masterful campaign has been largely ignored until
          his book (which was published this past year). It's a reasonably good
          work, though too short for my tastes. My biggest complaint is the lack
          of a scale on the maps. Not a big deal for most people, but I pass
          through Beech Grove all the time and I still can't get a feel for where
          the various units were located. Bradley is on faculty at Motlow State
          Community College in Lynchburg, so I've been wanting to intiate a
          discussion with him about Hoover's Gap, but I figure he's a busy guy and
          I'd just be bugging him. But maybe not. Anybody out there know him?
          And does anybody out there know of any other works that are specifically
          about Tullahoma?
          Andy

          "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

          > Madelon,
          >
          > I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
          > college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
          > book, just on Tullahoma:
          >
          > "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee" author-
          > Michael R. Bradley.
          >
          > Steve Lieberum
          > SELieberum@...

        • Lieberum, Steve
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
            Andy,

            I totally agree, the maps in the book were not the greatest, I got lost
            sometimes, trying to pin point places as I read the book.

            Steve

            "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

            > Madelon,
            >
            > I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
            > college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
            > book, just on Tullahoma:
            >
            > "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee"
            author-
            > Michael R. Bradley.
            >
            > Steve Lieberum
            > SELieberum@...

          • Stephen Wakefield
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
              Dear Ms. Heatherington-
              I would submit to you for your consideration a book called BLUE LIGHTING-Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade in the Battle of Chickamauga,written by Richard Baumgartner by Blue Acorn Press in 1997. The first half of the book deals with the brigade's history during the first half of 1863.
              Regards-
              Wakefield
            • Margaret D. Blough
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@egroups.com

                Dear Group:

                I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga and
                Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have another
                biblio. question:
                What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on the
                Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? (Either or both.)
                I am, you may recall, most interested in a Northern perspective,
                especially cavalry, but will accept your recommendations regardless.

                Yours,
                Madelon<

                Madelon,

                It might seem a bit unconventional a recommendation but I'd highly
                recommend Wilbur Hinman's incomparable novel, "Corporal Si Klegg and His
                Pard". While it is a very lightly fictionalized novel, Hinman was a
                veteran of the Army of the Cumberland (he served in the 65th Ohio,
                participated in the Tullahoma campaign, and was wounded at Chickamauga.
                He enlisted as a private in 1861 and ended the war as a major and acting
                lieutenant colonel ). It was originally serialized in the National
                Tribune to an extremely enthusiastic reception from Hinman's fellow
                veterans. There's an excellent reprint out by J.W. Henry Publishing,
                Inc., with a foreword by Brian Pohanka.

                Regards,

                Margaret
              • David Mercado
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                  --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "M. E. Heatherington"
                  <meheatherington@h...> wrote:
                  > Dear Group:
                  >
                  > I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga
                  and Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have
                  another biblio. question:
                  > What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on
                  >the Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? _

                  For a background book, try "Echos of Battle: The struggle for
                  Chattanooga" by Richard A. Baumgartner & Larry M. Strayer. It is
                  filled with first hand accounts and good photos.

                  go to http://www.blueacornpress.com/battles.htm for more info.

                  Best regards, Dave
                • Bob Huddleston
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                    To which I say "amen!" Brian's forward places Hinman in context and the book
                    deserves more notice as one of the best of the semi-fictional accounts of
                    the life of an average soldier, to rank along with _Hardtack and Coffee_ and
                    _Detailed Minutiae of Soldier life in the ANV_.

                    Take care,

                    Bob

                    JUDY AND BOB HUDDLESTON
                    10643 Sperry Street
                    Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                    303.451.6376 adco@...
                    Fax: 303.452.3051

                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 23, 2000
                      Steve, How cool! Thanks for the recommendation. How did your class go(
                      Holy Cross, was it?) - Madelon
                      PS: Sorry for the long delay in replying. My bad.

                      >From: "Lieberum, Steve" <selieberum@...>
                      >To: "'civilwarwest@egroups.com'" <civilwarwest@egroups.com>
                      >Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Tullahoma, East Tennessee
                      >Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:58:30 -0500
                      >
                      >Madelon,
                      >
                      >I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
                      >college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
                      >book, just on Tullahoma:
                      >
                      >"Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee"
                      >author-
                      >Michael R. Bradley.
                      >
                      >Steve Lieberum
                      >SELieberum@...