Grant's Miss. Central Campaign

  • bduke
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2000
      Sorry to have been off the Board. For a very interesting account from the Confederate perspective of the panic attendant to Pemberton's retreat following the Helena to Oakland flanking demonstration, the final chapters of "My Cave Life In Vicksburg" (Loughborough) are entitled "Letters of Trial and Travel" and demonstrate the level of civilian and military disarray. I believe Grant later said that if he'd known how seriously demoralized the Confederates were he'd have pushed his infantry forward to destroy Pemberton's army then and there. (This was largely the same Army whose heart had been torn out at Corinth a couple of months earlier) Instead Grant was cautious and allowed an ambush of his cavalry advance at Coffeeville, MS to check him, allowed the Confederates to consolidate, reinforce Vicksburg, and ultimately ( 2-3 weeks later) destroy the federal supply depot in the Holly Springs raid, and defeat Sherman at Chickasaw Bayou. Yet Grant retained his command and went on to take Vicksburg 7 months later. The amazing thing to me is that US Grant wasn't removed and was able to outmaneuver McClernand to keep control of the federal army. With all that, I've got to go to work.
    • bduke
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2000