Robert Black's death

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2001
      In trying to understand the CW, the first RR war, Dr. Black's work is still
      the best source. And I didn't even know he lived in Denver! :>(

      From an obituary in the Denver Post, 2/5/01

      Historian Robert C. Black III passed away January 31 in Aurora Colorado,
      a Denver suburb. Black is best known to Civil War scholars as the author
      of Railroads of the Confederacy. He was born in 1914 in New York City, and
      moved to Colorado in 1925. He graduated in 1937 from Williams College in
      Williamstown MA with a degree in history. He received an MA in art from
      the University of Denver in 1948 and a Ph.D. from Columbia University in
      1951. Other works produced by Black include The Life and Times of Edward
      Berthoud and Island in the Rockies : A History of Grand County Colorado to
      1930. Black taught at Colorado Women's College in Denver, Rennsselaer
      Polytechnic Institute in Troy NY, and Trinity College in Hartford CT.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street