Re: [civilwarwest] Why Grey?

  • carlw4514@juno.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2001
      Lee, you seem to be implying that real butternut dye was not much used.... there was a real dye called butternut from the shells of this certain type of hickory nut ( I do not have my source for this at hand, sorry)... what is your source or reason for believing that butternut was not really typically butternut?

      On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:35:42 EST LWhite64@... writes:
      Ok, now as to
      butternut, actually most CS uniforms started out grey, but the dyes used(see
      above) were vegetable based and like a plant when exposed to the sun for a
      period of time turned to a brownish hue, hence the reason that SO many
      surviveing CS uniforms are brown today on the outside, also add to this
      staining from the mud and dust.