Tullahoma, East Tennessee

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 17, 2000
      Dear Group:

      I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga and
      Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have another
      biblio. question:
      What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on the
      Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? (Either or both.)
      I am, you may recall, most interested in a Northern perspective,
      especially cavalry, but will accept your recommendations regardless.

      Yours,
      Madelon

    • Lieberum, Steve
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
        Madelon,

        I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
        college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
        book, just on Tullahoma:

        "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee" author-
        Michael R. Bradley.

        Steve Lieberum
        SELieberum@...

          I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga and
          Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have another
          biblio. question:
          What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on the
          Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? (Either or both.)
          I am, you may recall, most interested in a Northern perspective,
          especially cavalry, but will accept your recommendations regardless.

          Yours,
          Madelon

        • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
            Madelon:
            Bradley's book is the only one I know of specifically on Tullahoma.
            Funny that that such a masterful campaign has been largely ignored until
            his book (which was published this past year). It's a reasonably good
            work, though too short for my tastes. My biggest complaint is the lack
            of a scale on the maps. Not a big deal for most people, but I pass
            through Beech Grove all the time and I still can't get a feel for where
            the various units were located. Bradley is on faculty at Motlow State
            Community College in Lynchburg, so I've been wanting to intiate a
            discussion with him about Hoover's Gap, but I figure he's a busy guy and
            I'd just be bugging him. But maybe not. Anybody out there know him?
            And does anybody out there know of any other works that are specifically
            about Tullahoma?
            Andy

            "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

            > Madelon,
            >
            > I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
            > college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
            > book, just on Tullahoma:
            >
            > "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee" author-
            > Michael R. Bradley.
            >
            > Steve Lieberum
            > SELieberum@...

          • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000

              "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

              > Madelon,
              >
              > I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
              > college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
              > book, just on Tullahoma:
              >
              > "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee" author-
              > Michael R. Bradley.
              >
              > Steve Lieberum
              > SELieberum@...

            • Lieberum, Steve
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
                Andy,

                I totally agree, the maps in the book were not the greatest, I got lost
                sometimes, trying to pin point places as I read the book.

                Steve

                "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

                > Madelon,
                >
                > I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
                > college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
                > book, just on Tullahoma:
                >
                > "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee"
                author-
                > Michael R. Bradley.
                >
                > Steve Lieberum
                > SELieberum@...

              • Lieberum, Steve

                  "Lieberum, Steve" wrote:

                  > Madelon,
                  >
                  > I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
                  > college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
                  > book, just on Tullahoma:
                  >
                  > "Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee"
                  author-
                  > Michael R. Bradley.
                  >
                  > Steve Lieberum
                  > SELieberum@...

                • Stephen Wakefield
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
                    Dear Ms. Heatherington-
                    I would submit to you for your consideration a book called BLUE LIGHTING-Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade in the Battle of Chickamauga,written by Richard Baumgartner by Blue Acorn Press in 1997. The first half of the book deals with the brigade's history during the first half of 1863.
                    Regards-
                    Wakefield
                  • Stephen Wakefield
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 18, 2000
                      Dear Ms. Heatherington-
                      I would submit to you for your consideration a book called BLUE LIGHTING-Wilder's Mounted Infantry Brigade in the Battle of Chickamauga,written by Richard Baumgartner by Blue Acorn Press in 1997. The first half of the book deals with the brigade's history during the first half of 1863.
                      Regards-
                      Wakefield
                    • Margaret D. Blough
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                        Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@egroups.com

                        Dear Group:

                        I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga and
                        Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have another
                        biblio. question:
                        What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on the
                        Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? (Either or both.)
                        I am, you may recall, most interested in a Northern perspective,
                        especially cavalry, but will accept your recommendations regardless.

                        Yours,
                        Madelon<

                        Madelon,

                        It might seem a bit unconventional a recommendation but I'd highly
                        recommend Wilbur Hinman's incomparable novel, "Corporal Si Klegg and His
                        Pard". While it is a very lightly fictionalized novel, Hinman was a
                        veteran of the Army of the Cumberland (he served in the 65th Ohio,
                        participated in the Tullahoma campaign, and was wounded at Chickamauga.
                        He enlisted as a private in 1861 and ended the war as a major and acting
                        lieutenant colonel ). It was originally serialized in the National
                        Tribune to an extremely enthusiastic reception from Hinman's fellow
                        veterans. There's an excellent reprint out by J.W. Henry Publishing,
                        Inc., with a foreword by Brian Pohanka.

                        Regards,

                        Margaret
                      • Margaret D. Blough

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                            --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "M. E. Heatherington"
                            <meheatherington@h...> wrote:
                            > Dear Group:
                            >
                            > I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga
                            and Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have
                            another biblio. question:
                            > What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on
                            >the Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? _

                            For a background book, try "Echos of Battle: The struggle for
                            Chattanooga" by Richard A. Baumgartner & Larry M. Strayer. It is
                            filled with first hand accounts and good photos.

                            go to http://www.blueacornpress.com/battles.htm for more info.

                            Best regards, Dave
                          • David Mercado
                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                              <meheatherington@h...> wrote:
                              > Dear Group:
                              >
                              > I followed your recommendations on readings about Chickamauga
                              and Chattanooga with great interest and much pleasure, so now I have
                              another biblio. question:
                              > What should I be reading for background guidance/reference on
                              >the Tullahoma and East Tennessee campaigns? _

                              For a background book, try "Echos of Battle: The struggle for
                              Chattanooga" by Richard A. Baumgartner & Larry M. Strayer. It is
                              filled with first hand accounts and good photos.

                              go to http://www.blueacornpress.com/battles.htm for more info.

                              Best regards, Dave
                            • Bob Huddleston
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 20, 2000
                                To which I say "amen!" Brian's forward places Hinman in context and the book
                                deserves more notice as one of the best of the semi-fictional accounts of
                                the life of an average soldier, to rank along with _Hardtack and Coffee_ and
                                _Detailed Minutiae of Soldier life in the ANV_.

                                Take care,

                                Bob

                                JUDY AND BOB HUDDLESTON
                                10643 Sperry Street
                                Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
                                303.451.6376 adco@...
                                Fax: 303.452.3051

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 23, 2000
                                    Steve, How cool! Thanks for the recommendation. How did your class go(
                                    Holy Cross, was it?) - Madelon
                                    PS: Sorry for the long delay in replying. My bad.

                                    >From: "Lieberum, Steve" <selieberum@...>
                                    >To: "'civilwarwest@egroups.com'" <civilwarwest@egroups.com>
                                    >Subject: RE: [civilwarwest] Tullahoma, East Tennessee
                                    >Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 07:58:30 -0500
                                    >
                                    >Madelon,
                                    >
                                    >I just finished teaching a course on Chickamauga/Chattanooga at a local
                                    >college, I used several books on the subject, but did find the following
                                    >book, just on Tullahoma:
                                    >
                                    >"Tullahoma, the 1863 Campaign for the Control of Middle Tennessee"
                                    >author-
                                    >Michael R. Bradley.
                                    >
                                    >Steve Lieberum
                                    >SELieberum@...