Re: Bragg & hjs personality

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2000
      David
      The story was origjnally told by Grant in his Memoirs.
      Grant used it as an example of why he expected the Confederate generals to
      begin fight�ng among themselves and not pay any attentjon to Grant or the
      Federals,

      Bob Huddleston
      David Kent Fonner wrote on 11/30/00 12:07 pm:

      Getting to Braxton Bragg, it seems to me I read somewhere, perhaps in one of
      Shelby Foot's works, that Bragg once commanded a post out west before the
      Civil War. It was a small post, so he also served as quartermaster. Being
      a stickler for regulations, as post commander he once wrote a request to
      himself as quartermaster for some item of supply. As quartermaster, he then
      wrote a letter to himself refusing the request. Next, as post commander he
      wrote another letter asking the quartermaster to reconsider his decision.
      Eventually, the matter worked its way up the chain of command, leading to
      the observation that Bragg fought with every officer in the pre-war army,
      including himself.

      Kent