  • David Kent Fonner
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2000
      Margaret:

      I think you hit the nail on the head. Knowing that this subject is getting
      into murky waters, I only suggest that anyone interested in Reconstruction and
      the issues it failed to resolve read Eric Foner's history of reconstruction,
      which he calls "America's unfinished revolution." Lots to think about.

      Getting to Braxton Bragg, it seems to me I read somewhere, perhaps in one of
      Shelby Foot's works, that Bragg once commanded a post out west before the
      Civil War. It was a small post, so he also served as quartermaster. Being a
      stickler for regulations, as post commander he once wrote a request to himself
      as quartermaster for some item of supply. As quartermaster, he then wrote a
      letter to himself refusing the request. Next, as post commander he wrote
      another letter asking the quartermaster to reconsider his decision.
      Eventually, the matter worked its way up the chain of command, leading to the
      observation that Bragg fought with every officer in the pre-war army,
      including himself.

      Kent