Re: anyone out there

  • Daniel Giallombardo
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 7, 2000
      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@c...> wrote:
      > I just thought I would relay this info on to you folks. Since
      Paddy
      Griffith was the subject of discussion a few emails ago, I decided to
      email him. Heck, you never know whether someone will answer you or
      not. Anyway, this is what I sent.

      > My Dear Mr. Griffin,
      >
      > Though you do not know me, I have heard of you and admire
      anyone who makes "Military History" a life's work. One of my dear
      Internet friends, before his death, was Dr. Ernest Butner of
      Pepperdine University (he was a military historian) and we spent many
      a night in a chat room discussing the American Civil War. It was
      always a pleasure to chat with someone with so much knowledge. His
      knowledge, as yours, was not just in our war but in all wars.
      > Your name and your book came up in an email discussion
      group that I maintain that discusses the Western Theater in the
      American Civil War. Since I have not read your book, I cannot say
      whether I agree or disagree with your thesis about the weapons and
      tactics of the late unpleasantness. However, now that it has been
      brought up I fully intend to see if I can find it (your book that is)
      and see if it really is as good as many in the group say it is. If
      you
      find yourself with the time I would like to invite you to join our
      group and maybe discuss your views on our war. The address explaining
      what the group is about and how to join is located at this URL:

      > http://www.civilwarhome.com/cwwtdg.htm
      >
      > I fully realize how busy you must be and will well
      understand if you cannot, but I felt I should make the offer.
      > Additionally, although I have absolutely no credentials
      in
      "historical research", I do maintain what is probably the largest and
      most visited of the American Civil War sites on the web (Not the
      discussion group that I mentioned. That is just a very very small
      part
      of it). Last year I averaged (combining the time when school was in
      and when it was out) over 50,000 hits a day (got a few with over
      90,000) and answered an average of 20-30 questions a day from
      students. My busiest time is during our school year is why I made
      the
      disclaimer. With your past research into our war I thought you might
      find the site interesting. It has a LOT of primary data on it. Here
      is
      the URL:

      > http://www.civilwarhome.com
      >
      > Anyway, I just thought that I would write to show you
      that
      the "Ultimate Vanity", a personal website, does draw some readers.
      You
      take care now ya hear!

      > I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
      > Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      >
      > This is what I received this morning.
      >
      > Waal, just hi thar, Shotgun!
      > Thanks for your very interesting account of your
      civil war activities: it's always good to hear there are some people
      out there who like my book on that war, since there are shure quite a
      few who don't! Anyway, I guess the civil war continues to rage
      around
      historical interpretations as much as around any other aspect...
      > The book, incidentally, has recently been, or is about to
      be, issued in paperback for the first time in 12 years. You very
      kindly asked if I'd like to join in discussion groups about the war.
      Unfortunately I really don't have the time due to other commitments,
      and in any case I have had no new arguments to put forward during the
      15 years that have passed since I wrote the first set (although the
      intervening time has helped to erase my command of the details). I
      have seen plenty of ingenious re-workings or counter-arguments, and I
      know I got a few points of detail wrong (who doesn't?) but I don't
      think any of that has really added up to a major alternative
      perspective to the one I originally adopted (and I have also seen
      extra supporting evidence). For example some have said that the men
      who chose the tactical formations were to blame for getting them
      wrong
      - but I don't buy into that theory. So I am still waiting for some
      scholar to come along and take a comprehensive new look at the
      subject. Maybe Brent Nosworthy will do it in a new book he is
      preparing.
      > Sorry to disappoint, but I find chat rooms difficult to
      handle, especially on a subject that I haven't looked at for 15 years!
      > But I'm glad that they go on - I'm sure they help the sum
      of our knowledge.

      > Yours ever, Paddy Griffith
      > Anyway, I just thought I would pass this on. Many times when
      someone emails me with a question that I just do not have the hard
      data to answer with but I know there is a website up there that deals
      with it, I will recommend that they go to the site and ask the
      "webmaster" there for the data they need. My theory is that if
      someone cares enough to put a website up about a particular subject,
      the chances are they are interested enough to monitor their email and
      respond to questions. I find that "Paddy" just proves my theory :-)

      review
      of one of
      > > > Griffith's books in, IIRC, CW History, chewing him out and
      spitting out the
      > > > pieces!
      > > >
      > > > Take care,
      > > >
      > > > Bob

      Shotgun,

      A great letter and, I think,an equally great response.
      I have read his work,and I think his evaluation is fair and
      honest. There are some parts he get's wrong.On the other hand,I've
      not seen a more credible explanation of his theory,or a more viable
      explanation of the extraordinary amount of conincidences of
      tactic,strategy,and weapon usage either.
      My best to everyone-and today being the 7th of
      November,EVERYONE
      please go out and vote.I'm not telling you who to vote for-
      your politics ain't none of my business,I'm merely reminding
      everyone that the ballot is one of our most sacred rights as
      citizens of this Great Republic,and that democracies -more than
      anything else need the participation of it's members. Speech over.
      Dan
    • Daniel Giallombardo
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 7, 2000