Re: [civilwarwest] Thomas and Rosecrans. What if?

  • Margaret D. Blough
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
      Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@egroups.com

      Margaret:
      I was down there last week and happened to drive on through the
      park,
      just looking for the Mill as I hadn't ever seen it in my previous
      trips. I did see it, though it didn't look like it was open. It did
      look nice, though. Any idea what the plans are for it? Is it open at
      all yet?
      Andy
      <

      I was very fortunate. I was there in September 1998 for the Longstreet
      Symposium held by the Longstreet Society (http://www.longstreet.org).
      Over the period of the Gettysburg Longstreet statue project (Longstreet
      Memorial Fund, a separate organization), I've gotten to know Dan Paterson,
      the son of Jamie Longstreet Paterson, the general's granddaughter, and some
      of the rest of the family as well. Dan and Jamie, who drove, were giving
      me a lift to the airport after the symposium ended, and Dan wanted to
      drive by the mill, which we didn't think would be open yet. It was and a
      very nice man gave us a tour of the interior which looks terrific. I don't
      know if it was totally finished but it looked good. We wanted to buy a few
      things at the gift corner and the mill, so our guide went to get his friend
      who handled such things. When the two men returned, our guide introduced
      us to his friend, L. Adair Brotherton, great-great- (I think I have the
      number of greats right) nephew of the Brotherton who guided Longstreet at
      Chickamauga. It was very moving.

      I don't know what the schedule is on when it is open though. I know their
      goal is to restore it as a fully operational mill.

      Regards,

      Margaret