Re: [civilwarwest] CW Aftermath: (Was: Fort Pillow!!)

  • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2000
      An interesting thread, though I may be prolonging it needlessly (and it
      may be off topic). I have always considered it a great credit to the
      South that they did not continue the fight as a guerilla war. In
      addition to the possible effects of the Southern leadership, I would put
      forth a couple of other possibilities as well (neither are originally
      mine). The first is that when it came right down to it, the average
      Southerner simply didn't believe in the Confederacy any more than they
      disbelieved in the Union. Along these same lines is the second, which
      is that when it was all said and done, the ties binding North to South
      were greater than the divisions (the extreme bloodshed
      notwithstanding). Was there ever a war when so many of the principal
      actors on both sides knew their opponents so well, and (in many cases)
      were quite close friends and even relatives? How about the (Union)
      White House in mourning for the death of a Confederate general? One of
      the greatest tragedies of the war, in my opinion, was the fact that we
      fought against an enemy who was really us. Much easier to savagely
      battle an enemy who is alien in culture, and to do it with hatred.
      Andy