Fantastic Read

  • thecoys@together.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 21, 2000
      All,
          I have finally started to read Education in Violence:The Life of George H. Thomas and the History of the Army of the Cumberland.  On page 36 of the Americana House version, has got to be the two best sentences I have ever read in my study of the 'late unpleasantries'. It reads:

      "Twiggs remained in camp that morning trying to loosen his bowels in the belief that a bullet striking his belly under such circumsances had a better chance of passing through his intestines without cutting them.  This effort kept him off the field until noon, and the movement was launched under Garland's direction."

      Now, I realize Twiggs was not the best of Generals but did he really need Garland's direction?

      ROTFL

      To place this in the proper context the date of this "movement" was September 21, 1846 at the Battle of Monterey during the Mexican War.  I'll quote the whole paragraph.

      "During the four days of the battle, Bragg's guns worked with Twiggs' division on the northern and eastern sides of the city.  On the morning of the twenty-first, Twiggs' division was ordered to demonstrate at the northeast corner of the city in favor of Worth's main attack.  Twiggs reamined in camp that morning trying to loosen his bowels in the belief that a bullet striking his belly under such circumstances had a better chance of passing through the intestines without cutting them.  This effort kept im off the field until noon, and the movement was launched under Garland's direction.  'Lead the head of your column off to the left,' he ordered the colonel of the leading regiment, 'keeping well out of the reach of the enemy's shot, but if you think you can take any of them little forts down there with the bayonets, you better do it,'  The order was not obeyed."

      Even in the proper context I still find it hilarious. :)

      McKinney, Francis F. Education in Violence: The Life of George H. Thomas and the History of the Army of the Cumberland.  Americana House, Inc., Chicago, 1991. pg 36.

      In F,C, & L

      Kevin S. Coy