fall of the cartel

  • ralph turnier
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2000
      >By the way Margaret, you make a statement in an earlier post that "The
      > >Confederate official position, refusing to accord captured Black
      > >Unionsoldiers the status of prisoner of war and the threats to the >lives
      >andsafety, if captured, of white officers who commanded Black >regiments,
      >was amajor factor in the collapse of the prisoner exchange >cartel." I
      >waswondering if you have a source for this. I was under the >impression
      >that Grant stopped the "exchange of prisoners" because he >was tired of
      >fightingthe same soldiers over and over again and this >was a way to reduce
      >theforces of the Confederate armies. I don't >remember him referring to
      >thetreatment of coloreds as reason. He could >have, I just don't
      >rememberreading it.

      Finally a subject matter I know. Margaret and Dick is both right the cartel
      started to fall apart after the introduction of black soldiers to the Union
      army. The Union was in charge of exchange a was say that Tenn. Had passed a
      law allowing the drafting of free black men. The union felt the
      contradiction of having there black soldiers killed but yet the �black�
      confederates would be freed. They became angered about the contradiction
      but yet the cartel was delegate balance it was till many of the paroled
      confederates from vicksburg started to show up as new POW�s. in the end
      grant stopped the exchange for both theose reasons on April 17 1864

      One reason why they might be confusion is that after the war the Union
      stated that the confederates caused the fall of the cartel with there stance
      on black POW. The confederates on the other side said that the Grant
      stopped the cartel because of the breaking of the paroles.

      By the way the sources are from

      Louis A. Brown, The Salisbury Prison: A Case Study of Confederate Military
      Prisons 1861-1865 (Wilmington, NC.: Broadfoot Publishing Company 1992

      <ar120_47> Discusses the major problems in the cartel
      <ar120_63> Grants justification to stop the cartel

      ��As to the first, no arrangement for the exchange of prisoners will be
      acceded to that does not fully recognize the validity of these paroles and
      provide for the release to us of a sufficient number of prisoners now held
      by the Confederate authorities to cancel any balance that may be in our
      favor by virtue of these paroles.
      Until there is released to us a sufficient number of officers and men as
      were captured and paroled at Vicksburg and Port Hudson not another
      Confederate prisoner of war will be paroled or exchanged.
      As to the second, no distinction whatever will be made in the exchange
      between white and colored prisoners; the only question being, were they at
      the time of their capture in the military service of the United States.
      <ar120_63> If they were the same terms as to treatment while prisoners and
      conditions of release and exchange must be exacted and had in the case of
      colored soldiers as of white soldiers.
      Non-acquiescence by the Confederate authorities in both or either of these
      propositions will be regarded as a refusal on their part to agree to the
      further exchange of prisoners, and will be so treated by us. . . .�