pearlgrl@bellsouth.net

  • L. A. Chambliss
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 5, 2000
      Dear Chris,

      Aw shucks, she said, scuffing her toe in the dirt, it weren't nothing,
      nothing at all.

      Thank you for your exceedingly kind words but previous attempts at
      fiction writing have proved to my satisfaction that I am not suited to
      the art. I shed ideas like a Persian cat sheds fur, but ideas alone do
      not a novel make. There is that interminable slogging effort of putting
      one word in front of another with the objective at arriving at some sort
      of a conclusion, and that part I do not do well, either slogging or
      concluding. The end result is not a gleaming gem of prose but a
      steaming little hairball, resembling damp felt, inspiring no one.

      However for the benefit of others I will list my favorite rule of
      fiction plot development:

      "When in doubt as to what to do next, have somebody come through the
      door with a gun."
      (Mickey Spillane) (Or possibly Dashiel Hammett, I forget)(memory is not
      my strong suit either)

      Laurie

      Chris Huff wrote:

      > Oh Laurie,
      >
      > For Pete's sake write your own book! (So I can read it!!!!!) Your ideas are
      > great! :-)
      >
      > Chris Huff
      > Atlanta, GA

    • L. A. Chambliss
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2000

      • aldrichr@dsmo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
          --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "L. A. Chambliss" <xanthipp@u...>
          wrote:
          > Dear Chris,
          >
          > Aw shucks, she said, scuffing her toe in the dirt, it weren't
          nothing,
          > nothing at all.
          >
          > Thank you for your exceedingly kind words but previous attempts at
          > fiction writing have proved to my satisfaction that I am not suited
          > the art. I shed ideas like a Persian cat sheds fur, but ideas
          alone do
          > not a novel make. There is that interminable slogging effort of
          putting
          > one word in front of another with the objective at arriving at some
          sort
          > of a conclusion, and that part I do not do well, either slogging or
          > concluding. The end result is not a gleaming gem of prose but a
          > steaming little hairball, resembling damp felt, inspiring no one.
          >
          > However for the benefit of others I will list my favorite rule of
          > fiction plot development:
          >
          > "When in doubt as to what to do next, have somebody come through the
          > door with a gun."
          > (Mickey Spillane) (Or possibly Dashiel Hammett, I forget)(memory is
          not
          > my strong suit either)
          >
          > Laurie

          Raymond Chandler, I believe. Keep slogging!

          Bob Aldrich

        • aldrichr@dsmo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000