[civilwarwest] On Topic Discussions

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 12, 1999
      I noticed on the scroll back of the Chat Room this morning that there
      was a lot of discussion last night about a recent visit to the Wilson's
      Creek battlefield by some of our members. I would like to remind
      everyone that discussions of this type are not only "on topic" for the
      chat room but would be considered "very on topic" (as long as they are
      Western Theater) for this discussion group.

      I would encourgage anyone who has recently visited a Western Theater
      Battlefield to share your experiences with this group. You would be
      amazed at what kind of threads can develop out of these kind of posts.
      Even though you talk about them in the chat room, not everyone gets to
      visit the room every day like I do. Even if they do, it may be late
      enough that the discussion has scrolled out of range.

      Before the discussions really start to develop in the group, I would
      like to pass along a little something that I have learned by being a
      member of other groups. If someone makes a long post and you are going
      to repond only to a part of the post, I would suggest that you use the
      reply function, as most do, but cut from the original post all but what
      you are going to respond to. If you don't here is what can happen;
      someone makes a long post, another member hits reply and makes a long
      response, then another member makes a long response to the long
      response, then another member makes a post of "good reply." By the time
      you get the last message, you will have to scroll through three long
      posts that you have already seen just to read "Good Reply." See what I
      mean.

      Ya'll take care now ya hear!

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com