General George H. Thomas

  • Bagtown@altavista.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
      I hope I am not at of place here but I am going to assume its ok to
      put a post here inquiring about General Thomas (I am a relatively new
      student to the American Civil War). I just finished a magazine
      artilcle on this man and it appears to me he was very underated. What
      I would like to get some feedback on if possible is I would like to
      find a decent biography of this man. Also I would like to find a good
      book on The Army of the Cumberland. Sincerely Richard J. Karns
    • Don Plezia
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
        Go to:- http://www.aotc.net/

        and you'll find all you want to know. Your assumption that he was
        under-rated is correct. The man was without doubt the best General in
        the Civil War, including Lee!

        Don Plezia

        Cordially,

        D. W. Plezia

        Sponsor -------------------------~-~>
        > eGroups eLerts
        > ---------------------------------------------------------------------_
        ->

      • Don Plezia

          Sponsor -------------------------~-~>

        • Bagtown@altavista.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
            --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "Don Plezia" <oneplez@e...> wrote:
            > Go to:- http://www.aotc.net/
            >
            > and you'll find all you want to know. Your assumption that he was
            > under-rated is correct. The man was without doubt the best General
            in
            > the Civil War, including Lee!
            >
            > Don Plezia
            >
            > Cordially,
            >

            > D. W. Plezia

            Thanks Much excellent website I truly was disturbed when I read of
            some of General Thomas' mistreatment at the hands of his superiors
            and peers. The Union was genuinely lucky to have had such a man. From
            what I have read he was a soldiers general and a great strategic as
            well as tactical commander. Once again thanks for the website.
            Sincerely Richard J. Karns

          • Bagtown@altavista.com
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
              --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "Don Plezia" <oneplez@e...> wrote:
              > Go to:- http://www.aotc.net/
              >
              > and you'll find all you want to know. Your assumption that he was
              > under-rated is correct. The man was without doubt the best General
              in
              > the Civil War, including Lee!
              >
              > Don Plezia
              >
              > Cordially,
              >

              > D. W. Plezia

            • Stepehen D. Wakefield
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
                You are definitely at the right place. Although we have had some "spats"
                here in the past as to exactly how great Thomas was as a general. I do think
                you will find that all here are of the opinion that Thomas was at the least
                one of the very best commanders of the war.
                > I hope I am not at of place here but I am going to assume its ok to
                > put a post here inquiring about General Thomas (I am a relatively new
                > student to the American Civil War). I just finished a magazine
                > artilcle on this man and it appears to me he was very underated. What
                > I would like to get some feedback on if possible is I would like to
                > find a decent biography of this man. Also I would like to find a good
                > book on The Army of the Cumberland. Sincerely Richard J. Karns

              • Stepehen D. Wakefield
                  > I hope I am not at of place here but I am going to assume its ok to
                  > put a post here inquiring about General Thomas (I am a relatively new
                  > student to the American Civil War). I just finished a magazine
                  > artilcle on this man and it appears to me he was very underated. What
                  > I would like to get some feedback on if possible is I would like to
                  > find a decent biography of this man. Also I would like to find a good
                  > book on The Army of the Cumberland. Sincerely Richard J. Karns

                • Geoff Blankenmeyer
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
                    IMO, the best treatments of Thomas and the AoC are the original
                    treatments. Keep in mind that modern historians have the
                    luxury of hindsight to reconstruct the annals listed below, but the
                    ideas in the main from each of these three texts remains intact.
                    Unfortunately all are out of print and you may have to travel to a
                    well stocked library to find each. Good luck. The books I mentioned
                    are:

                    Bickham, William D. Rosecrans' Campaign with the Fourteenth Army
                    Corps, or the Army of the Cumberland; Moore, Wilstach, Keys & Co.,
                    1863.

                    Fitch, John. Annals of the Army of the Cumberland; Lippincott, 1864.

                    Van Horne, Thomas B. History of the Army of the Cumberland, Its
                    Organization, Campaigns, and Battles. Written at the Request of
                    Major General George H. Thomas; Cincinnati, 1875.

                    Geoff
                  • Geoff Blankenmeyer

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
                        --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, Bagtown@a... wrote:
                        > I would like to find a decent biography of this man. Also I would
                        like to find a good book on The Army of the Cumberland. Sincerely
                        Richard J. Karns<

                        A fairly comprehensive annotated bibliography on Thomas is available
                        at: http://home.att.net/~dmercado/biograph.htm

                        Also there is some information on how to obtain some of the out of
                        print books. Best regards, Dave
                      • David Mercado
                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000

                        • ppcattyrph@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
                            Richard,
                            I have read three bios of Geo Thomas. You bet this man was underrated.
                            I suggest Frank Palumbo's GEORGE HENRY THOMAS, THE DEPENDABLE GENERAL and
                            Cleaves' ROCK OF CHICKAMAUGA.
                            regards,
                            Peter Cohron
                          • ppcattyrph@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 3, 2000
                                Peter!

                                Read Francis McKinney's "Education in Violence". It's the best. Then
                                read Grant's and Sherman's "Memior"s, to see how they slandered him to
                                build up themselves.

                                Then go to Bob Redman's site:- http://www.aotc.net/ and read Thomas
                                Budd Van Horne's Biography "Life of General George H. Thomas". This was
                                the only author able to use Thomas's personal paper's before he died and
                                the were destroyed by his wife per his wishes.

                                Don

                                Cordially,

                                D. W. Plezia

                                Sponsor -------------------------~-~>
                                > eGroups eLerts
                                > ---------------------------------------------------------------------_
                                ->

                              • Don Plezia

                                  Sponsor -------------------------~-~>

                                • ppcattyrph@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 4, 2000
                                    Don,
                                    Thanks for the recommendations. Let me also suggest a recent bio of
                                    Sherman, THE WHITE TECUMSEH by Hirshson. he plays up the friendship between
                                    Sherman and Thomas, plays down the enmity. Is this revisionist history, or a
                                    setting of things right?
                                    regards,
                                    Peter Cohron
                                  • ppcattyrph@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 4, 2000
                                        David;
                                        Thank you for your website on George Thomas. In San Francisco there was a
                                        Thomas GAR post along with the GAR memorial in the National Cemetery
                                        deciated by the Thomas GAR post. My unit does Memorial day services in that
                                        GAR post honor.
                                        Great website.
                                        Brad Schall

                                        > > I would like to find a decent biography of this man. Also I would
                                        > like to find a good book on The Army of the Cumberland. Sincerely
                                        > Richard J. Karns<
                                        >
                                        > A fairly comprehensive annotated bibliography on Thomas is available
                                        > at: http://home.att.net/~dmercado/biograph.htm
                                        >
                                        > Also there is some information on how to obtain some of the out of
                                        > print books. Best regards, Dave

                                      • Brad Schall

                                          > > I would like to find a decent biography of this man. Also I would
                                          > like to find a good book on The Army of the Cumberland. Sincerely
                                          > Richard J. Karns<
                                          >
                                          > A fairly comprehensive annotated bibliography on Thomas is available
                                          > at: http://home.att.net/~dmercado/biograph.htm
                                          >
                                          > Also there is some information on how to obtain some of the out of
                                          > print books. Best regards, Dave

                                        • David Woodbury
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 4, 2000
                                            At 4:37 PM +0000 12/3/00, Bagtown@... wrote:
                                            >Thanks Much excellent website I truly was disturbed when I read of
                                            >some of General Thomas' mistreatment at the hands of his superiors
                                            >and peers.

                                            As others have said, Thomas is almost universally regarded as one of
                                            the best general officers of the war. You'll be well served to do a
                                            lot of reading on the man if you're interested, and form your own
                                            opinions. There is an unfortunate tendency among some Thomas admirers
                                            to exalt him by tearing others down. Specifically, there is an
                                            inclination to exaggeratedly denigrate Grant and Sherman by way of
                                            casting Thomas in a better light. Classic examples of this kind of
                                            Thomas hagiography are Buell's book, "Warrior Generals," and articles
                                            such as "Politics in the Union army at the Battle for Chattanooga" at
                                            the web site to which you were first directed.

                                            All of this is to say it pays to keep reading.

                                            David
                                          • David Woodbury
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 4, 2000

                                            • aldrichr@dsmo.com
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Dec 6, 2000
                                                --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "Brad Schall" <bradschall@h...>
                                                wrote:
                                                > David;
                                                > Thank you for your website on George Thomas. In San Francisco
                                                there was a
                                                > Thomas GAR post along with the GAR memorial in the National Cemetery
                                                > deciated by the Thomas GAR post. My unit does Memorial day
                                                services in that
                                                > GAR post honor.
                                                > Great website.
                                                > Brad Schall

                                                My subjective take on Thomas, based on what little I have read (mostly
                                                Buell's "Warrior Generals") is that he was a perfectionist, and his
                                                perfectionist style clashed with Grant's "just do it" style. Who was
                                                right from a military perspective? I'm not really qualified to say.
                                                Regardless, Grant was under tremendous political pressure on both
                                                occasions when he clashed with Thomas - first, the minor clash in the
                                                Chattanooga campaign, and second, the major clash over the Nashville
                                                campaign. Come to think of it, when was Grant NOT under tremendous
                                                political pressure? But in this theater, the Washington leadership
                                                was extremely nervous about having a Confederate army on the loose in
                                                Tennessee. All the careful planning that marks Thomas as a pioneer
                                                of modern military methods inevitably took time. The Washington
                                                leadership, whether correctly or not, felt that time was not on their
                                                side. IMO, Thomas' deliberate approach to preparing his army for
                                                battle could not have been better designed to remind the federal
                                                leadership of McClellan's "slows" and generate impatience.
                                                I feel that the clash of leadership styles (as well as personalities,
                                                as Buell discusses) and Thomas' seeming tonedeafness to political
                                                exigencies explain their rocky relationship more than any conspiracy
                                                or deliberate attempt by Grant to prevent Thomas from rising. All
                                                this is my subjective opinion, based on the little that I have read.

                                                Bob Aldrich
                                              • aldrichr@dsmo.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Dec 6, 2000