Re: [civilwarwest] Confederate Fort Names - a correction

  • David Woodbury
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
      At 5:06 PM -0400 9/4/00, panzerbaer@... wrote:
      >I went back to my sources to see where
      >I made my mistake and found the original quote I had read in Symond's
      >biography of Cleburne: "McPherson...the only Union army commander to
      >be killed in battle during the war"

      McPherson is described this way in a lot of sources, with Albert
      Sydney Johnston being his Confederate counterpart, but it seems to me
      that Nathaniel Lyon should be counted as another U.S. army commander
      KIA. When he was killed at Wilson's Creek I believe his force was
      officially designated the Army of the West.

      David