How to Move Our Hero from Memphis to Chattanooga

  • M. E. Heatherington
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
      Dear Group:

      I wish to draw once more upon your expertise, if you will let me.
      As some of you may recall, I have just finished a novel (call it Book I
      of a proposed trilogy) about an 1863 cavalry raid, Grierson's Raid, made by
      Union forces through Mississippi. Now I'm starting the preliminary workup
      for Book II.
      In this new book, the same protagonist -- his name is Bart; he's 22, and
      a new captain in the Seventh Illinois Volunteer Cavalry (a real unit, btw)
      -- participates in the events at Chattanooga.
      It seems to make sense to me that, having finished the raid in May and
      the siege of Port Hudson in July, Bart would be available for Halleck's
      sweeping up of the XV and XVII corps that he sent east with Sherman in late
      October. (The IX corps went along, too, a little later, I think.)
      Anyway, the problem is that Bart belongs to none of those corps (IX, XV,
      XVII), but to the XVI, which stayed in W. Tenn. and/or Miss. for the whole
      of the war. How inconvenient!
      Still, I have to get him moved east somehow, and not by clicking his
      ruby-red slippers together, either. Joking aside, what I mean is, I don't
      want to violate custom and usage any more than I absolutely have to. If the
      XVI didn't go east, well, then, I won't make it. So how else can I get him
      there?
      In fact, that's my question for you: What is a plausible way for Bart to
      be moved to Chattanooga, given that neither his company (the mythic Co. J)
      nor his (real) regiment, brigade, division, or corps apparently ever moved
      any farther east than Tupelo?
      Your informed advice will be much appreciated.

      Gratefully yours,
      Madelon E. Heatherington

    • jrayelliot@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
        How about having the enlistment for his unit expire, let him return
        home and enlist in a unit that serves in the desired area?

        Ray

        --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "M. E. Heatherington"

        _______________
        http://explorer.msn.com
      • jwolf
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
          I think Ray's idea about unit enlistment expiring is the most plausible. It
          gets my vote, with no pesky chad hanging on for dear life.

          Joel
        • jwolf
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
            I think Ray's idea about unit enlistment expiring is the most plausible. It
            gets my vote, with no pesky chad hanging on for dear life.

            Joel
          • carpmaster
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
              "M. E. Heatherington" wrote:

              > Dear Group:
              >
              > XVI didn't go east, well, then, I won't make it. So how else can I get him
              > there?
              > In fact, that's my question for you: What is a plausible way for Bart to
              > be moved to Chattanooga, given that neither his company (the mythic Co. J)
              > nor his (real) regiment, brigade, division, or corps apparently ever moved
              > any farther east than Tupelo?
              > Your informed advice will be much appreciated.
              >
              > Gratefully yours,
              > Madelon E. Heatherington
              >
              > Why not have him just get a transfer due to family?? or something he's better at and
              > needed over that way??

              Chuck in Illinois
            • L. A. Chambliss
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
                Dear Madelon,

                I will concede that the idea proposed by several, that Bart's unit have
                its time run out and go home to reorganize, is imminently plausible.
                However I submit that while historically accurate, it is about as loaded
                with dramatic potential as a bottle of flat beer. Plus you have the
                disadvantage of having to follow the real history of the 7th IL Cav,
                with which this scenario might not match.

                Better, in my humble and probably overdramatic opinion, would be
                something along the following lines:

                Bart, you say, has just been named a captain in this unit. This
                probably got somebody else's nose out of joint, perhaps someone who has
                been Bart's rival in other matters, either military or social (a chance
                to throw in a little romantic adventure with a Girl Back Home presents
                itself here).

                This Vile Rival connives to get Bart sacked, out of the captaincy at
                least and the regiment entirely if possible. Through the usual
                underhanded means he succeeds, and Bart is out on his arse, with only
                his faithful horse for company. Perhaps he has a mentor of higher rank
                who knows the story, knows that Bart is both an honorable man and a good
                soldier, and said mentor gives him a letter of recommendation to a
                friend in one of the other corps which he knows is about to be moving
                far away, geetting Bart away from the rival and the sticky situation in
                the 7th IL.

                Bart gnashes his teeth at this but accepts. And have him move into a
                fictitous regiment this time, it gives you more freedom of movement.
                You can always have him get his revenge on the Evil Rival in Vol. III.

                :-)

                Laurie

                "M. E. Heatherington" wrote:

                > Dear Group:
                >
                > I wish to draw once more upon your expertise, if you will let me.
                > As some of you may recall, I have just finished a novel (call it Book I
                > of a proposed trilogy) about an 1863 cavalry raid, Grierson's Raid, made by
                > Union forces through Mississippi. Now I'm starting the preliminary workup
                > for Book II.
                > In this new book, the same protagonist -- his name is Bart; he's 22, and
                > a new captain in the Seventh Illinois Volunteer Cavalry (a real unit, btw)
                > -- participates in the events at Chattanooga.
                > It seems to make sense to me that, having finished the raid in May and
                > the siege of Port Hudson in July, Bart would be available for Halleck's
                > sweeping up of the XV and XVII corps that he sent east with Sherman in late
                > October. (The IX corps went along, too, a little later, I think.)
                > Anyway, the problem is that Bart belongs to none of those corps (IX, XV,
                > XVII), but to the XVI, which stayed in W. Tenn. and/or Miss. for the whole
                > of the war. How inconvenient!
                > Still, I have to get him moved east somehow, and not by clicking his
                > ruby-red slippers together, either. Joking aside, what I mean is, I don't
                > want to violate custom and usage any more than I absolutely have to. If the
                > XVI didn't go east, well, then, I won't make it. So how else can I get him
                > there?
                > In fact, that's my question for you: What is a plausible way for Bart to
                > be moved to Chattanooga, given that neither his company (the mythic Co. J)
                > nor his (real) regiment, brigade, division, or corps apparently ever moved
                > any farther east than Tupelo?
                > Your informed advice will be much appreciated.
                >
                > Gratefully yours,
                > Madelon E. Heatherington

                > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

              • L. A. Chambliss
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000

                • thecoys@together.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2000
                    It was common for successful men from one(old) regiment to be offered a
                    position in another (new) regiment, i.e. in the movie 'Glory' Shaw was
                    a shavetail at Antietam and later became a Col of the 54th.

                    So I would propose that our hero gets wounded, or captured (then
                    exchanged), goes home to 'gods country', the Land of Lincoln, and then
                    gets offered an officers position in a new Regiment.

                    Your task would be to find a relatively new regiment at
                    Chickamauga/Chattanooga, in an appropriate Corps, and assign Captain
                    'Studley'-do-'Right' to that unit.

                    In F., C., & L.,

                    Kevin S. Coy
                  • thecoys@together.net

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 4, 2000
                        Oh Laurie,

                        For Pete's sake write your own book! (So I can read it!!!!!) Your ideas are
                        great! :-)

                        Chris Huff
                        Atlanta, GA

                        > I will concede that the idea proposed by several, that Bart's unit have
                        > its time run out and go home to reorganize, is imminently plausible.
                        > However I submit that while historically accurate, it is about as loaded
                        > with dramatic potential as a bottle of flat beer. Plus you have the
                        > disadvantage of having to follow the real history of the 7th IL Cav,
                        > with which this scenario might not match.
                        >
                        > Better, in my humble and probably overdramatic opinion, would be
                        > something along the following lines:
                        >
                        > Bart, you say, has just been named a captain in this unit. This
                        > probably got somebody else's nose out of joint, perhaps someone who has
                        > been Bart's rival in other matters, either military or social (a chance
                        > to throw in a little romantic adventure with a Girl Back Home presents
                        > itself here).
                        >
                        > This Vile Rival connives to get Bart sacked, out of the captaincy at
                        > least and the regiment entirely if possible. Through the usual
                        > underhanded means he succeeds, and Bart is out on his arse, with only
                        > his faithful horse for company. Perhaps he has a mentor of higher rank
                        > who knows the story, knows that Bart is both an honorable man and a good
                        > soldier, and said mentor gives him a letter of recommendation to a
                        > friend in one of the other corps which he knows is about to be moving
                        > far away, geetting Bart away from the rival and the sticky situation in
                        > the 7th IL.
                        >
                        > Bart gnashes his teeth at this but accepts. And have him move into a
                        > fictitous regiment this time, it gives you more freedom of movement.
                        > You can always have him get his revenge on the Evil Rival in Vol. III.
                        >
                        > :-)
                        >
                        > Laurie

                      • Chris Huff