Grant at Belmont

  • Bob Redman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
      Addison,

      At 13:33 9/2/00 -0600, you wrote:

      >Ulysses S. Grant was not very highly regarded after being routed at Belmont.

      When I excluded Belmont from my list of Grant's poorly conducted battles in
      the West, I was giving him a break. Everyone has to start learning
      sometime, and he had no prior battle command experience.

      The problem is that he learned nothing from the experience. Every single
      battle he conducted after that was improvised and sloppily planned. Take
      the Wilderness: At the battle of Chancellorsville a year before Wilderness
      and at the same location, Hooker made a major error by stopping his entire
      army in the middle of the thickets and was thus unable to properly direct
      the battle. Grant and Hooker both had time to through and take a postion in
      the open south of the Wilderness, but didn't. Grant then did the same
      thing! In contrast to Hooker, Grant (one of the few times in his career)
      made a stab at a flanking movement by sending Hancock around Lee's right,
      but then CALLED HIM BACK.

      Grant was backward and inept in his battle leadership, depending only on
      superior numbers and the even greater ineptness of some of his opponents.
      But he was unbeatable at political intrigue.

      Savior of the nation?

      Greetings,

      Bob Redman
      Sharpshooter Green