Re: [civilwarwest] More Pillow

  • Don Myers
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
      AoT,
      What is your opinion in reference Buckner blaming the whole affair on
      Pillow. I read where Buckner's Division held the right flank, by Hickman
      Creek, which also overlooked the river fortifications. On the 15th, as the
      CSA forces attacked from the left flank, to open the road to Nashville.
      This actually became a rout of McClerndand's forces. As the Union flank was
      rolled up Pillow apparently ordered Buckner's forces to join in and take a
      hill to their left, which Buckner protested. Grant then ordered CF Smith to
      attack the CSA right flank which Buckner had just vacated. A small CSA
      Tennessee Volunteer brigade was holding an area previously covered by a
      Division. The results were obvious. Is this more spin by Buckner, was
      Pillow incompetent? Ideas or corrections.
      Don Myers