Re: [civilwarwest] Additional info on Pillow

  • Don Myers
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2000
      AoT;

      What I was talking about in reference Grant's opinion of Pillow dealt with
      his feelings towards Pillows strategy for defense. It was attributed that
      Grant had said he felt comfortable that he could march to within view of the
      works at Ft. Donelson without fear of being bothered by Pillow. This was in
      reference to concern by subordinates of a pre-emptive strike since Grant's
      forces were bogged down for almost a week with poor road conditions and
      supply problems.
      I did read some place that the only force to challange the move from Ft.
      Henry to Ft. Donelson was Forrest's cavalry unit. IMHO up until the actual
      fall of the fort the CSA forces outnumbered, and at least equalled or
      outgunned Grant's forces, as long as they were out of range of Foote's
      gunboats.
      Don Myers
      P.S. Are you really going to make me look up "Erudite". I am just a simple
      country boy.