Re: [civilwarwest] Southern Generals in the West

  • Bob Redman
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2000
      Addison,

      At 13:59 9/2/00 -0600, you wrote:

      >To add to the list of worst Southern Generals in the West, I have several
      names.

      >1) Hindman. .
      >2) Holmes.
      >3) Floyd.
      >4) Pillow.
      >5) Green.
      >6) George Crittenden.>
      >7) Carroll.

      To make into my list a general has to be more than inept. He has to be:
      1) recklessly ambitious for promotion or preference
      2) extraordinarily harmful to the welfare of his troops and/or to his cause.

      I appreciate the suggestions, but the generals you mention simply didn't
      get enough people killed or territory lost to compete with Polk, J.
      Johnston, Longstreet, and Hood, although Hindman comes close.

      I also want to keep the list compact, so I am going to restrict it to 5
      each. Right now I'm thinking of adding Sheridan to the Union list, mainly
      because of his dabblings at Indian pacification after the war, which isn't
      fair, I know, but I just don't like him, and I'm a allowed to be just a
      little bit arbitrary, aren't I? Anyway, I might just keep the list at 4
      each. That way I don't have to deal with the problem of the would be
      general Jeff Davis.

      Greetings,

      Bob Redman