Georgia State Flag

  • David Kent Fonner
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000
      Of course the Confederate Battle Flag stands for more than just rascism.
      Otherwise it would not have endured as a symbol until thepresent. I have
      mixed feelings. My great-great grandfather died while fighting against that
      flag. Each time I think about his wife spending the rest of her life as a
      widow seamstress at the mercy of relatives and my great grandmother growing up
      without ever knowing her father, I see the Confederate flag as a symbol to be
      reviled. BUT... I also understand the feelings of those who revere it.
      Besides, I believe I have seen stats indicating that some Blacks willingly
      served under that flag. It seems to me that the Georgia flag should not be
      altered without a full and open debate. To simply dismiss the old Confederate
      battle flag as a hated relic of racism tends to oversimplify things.
      Certainly the state should not just bend to the whims of a minority of its
      citizens without a full airing of the subject. It is hard to tell what
      insights might come from a full debate.

    • David Kent Fonner
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000
[...]

      • Margaret D. Blough
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000
          Message text written by INTERNET:civilwarwest@egroups.com

[...]
          <

          It isn't simply any one thing, but the same symbol can have different
          meanings to different groups, depending on circumstances. At the time that
          the current Georgia state flag was adopted, black citizens of that state
          were almost totally disenfranchised and had no say in its selection. It
          wasn't just the use of the battle flag by private hate groups. The
          message that was sent when it was adopted was a message of defiance to the
          federal Constitution, government, and courts and a message to the Black
          citizens of that state that the state would engage in Massive Resistance to
          any and all efforts to protect and enforce the rights of Blacks under the
          US Constitution, especially the 14th and 15th Amendments. It would be one
          thing if the battle flag's history had stopped in 1865. One doesn't see
          the emotional reaction to either the First National Flag or the Palmetto
          flag of South Carolina, for instance. Perhaps official recognition of this
          and acknowledgement of the poisonous legacy of the Jim Crow era will
          defuse some of the tension.

          Regards,

          Margaret
        • Margaret D. Blough
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000

          • RednekRampag1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2000
              I believe the Georgia flag should remain the same.  The Civil War was NOT
              fought just for slavery, so therefore the Confederate flag should not be seen
              as a flag of racism, HOWEVER, it has been twisted around by KKK an dracist
              groups, which is wrong.  But the flag is a part of our history not to be
              forgotten.  It is nothing like the Nazi Swastika which was changed to
              something evil during the war, ins tead, it is merely a flag of a rebellion
              long gone, having to do with implements of slavery.  But I do not believe the
              civil war was fought for slavery alone, so therefore I do not see the flag as
              a sign of racism unless used in that way, such as the KKK.  If seen with the
              United States flag, it MUST be put below the U.S. one, proper respect must be
              shown, but it is our history.  In case anyone misreads what I typed here, I
              want to make clear that I am a strong anti-racist, and view it a! s a vile
              belief.
            • RednekRampag1@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2000
                  The Georgia Historical Society had a detailed, heavily footnoted, article on
                  the adoption of the present Georgia flag. The article was a couple of years
                  ago.
                  The gist of the article was that the current flag was modified to reflect
                  the sympathies of those who wanted to maintain Jim Crow and continue the
                  denial of Civil Rights to Georgia's sscond class Black citizens .

                  As for the Cause of the War - well, the Americans of the 1860's, of all
                  colors and all geographic regions, had no doubts that the Confederacy was
                  created to preserve the Peculiar Institution as the ''cornerstone'' of the
                  new country.

                  Bob Huddleston

                  RednekRampag1@... wrote on 11/30/00 7:16 pm:

                  I believe the Georgia flag should remain the same. The Civil War was NOT
                  fought just for slavery, so therefore the Confederate flag should not be
                  seen as a flag of racism,
                  SNIP
                • Bob Huddleston