Re: [civilwarwest], Questions for group.

  • grabrulee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      Dear Don,
      Cannot be any help at all on question #1. Being British with the benefit
      of a Brit. education I didn't find out until about 18 months ago that the
      Western Front even existed.
      From my army cadet days I can offer the following. The Lee Enfield .303
      rifles we used weighed approx 10lb and were crated in 12's on the basis that
      120lb was about the maximum weight that could be thrown from ground to
      truckbed by two reasonably fit men and still leave them able to repeat the
      process as part of a gang for a reasonable time. From pictures I have seen of
      the weapons of the time I guess the weight of each piece to be similar so I
      would suggest (on the same basis but subsitute "wagonbed" for "truckbed")
      that 12's would be reasonable again. This would give approx. 1670 crates of
      12 weapons - dimensions approx 5ftx2ftx2ft (if memory serves).
      Ball and powder was generally packed by weight, even if the powder is
      ready packed into cartridges at the arsenal. I would guess that the same
      weight rule would apply as packing of carts would have been done by the same
      method as for rifles.
      Hope this is of some assistance.
      Yours sincerely
      Graham Lee