Re: Officers held Accountable for Crimes by Subordinates

  • Wayne Oaks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5 11:45 AM
      Kristine,

      Regarding your inquiry about Commanders charged with allowing their
      subordinates to pillage and plunder, I provide the following from "Tarnished
      Eagles," Chap 36, pg. 161-164:

      One Colonel, John Basil Turchin (formerly Ivan Vasilovitch Turchinoff of the
      Don Province, Russia), "was court-martialed for neglect of duty, in that he
      allowed his troops to plunder the town of Athens (Alabama), rape female
      slaves, and set free male slaves, who committed further crimes."

      "The court found Tuchin guilty and sentenced him to be dismissed, but added
      the following request for clemency: 'The undersigned members of General
      Court-martial before which was tried Colonel J. B. Turchin, respectfully
      submit that in view of the fact that the finding of the Court acquits
      Colonel Turchin of any personal dishonor, and believing that his offenses
      were committed under exciting circumstances and was one rather of omission
      than of commission, we would respectfully recommend him to the favorable
      consideration of the Reviewing Officer.' "

      His wife successfully persuaded President Lincoln to set the verdict aside
      and to promote COL Turchin to Brigadier General.

      I hope this will assist your research.

      p.s. I tried sending this from my permanent home e-mail forgetting it is
      not registered with the group.

      Regards,
      Wayne