Re: LEE

  • mobile_96
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 10:00 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@egroups.com, "mike west" <grayback1@e...> wrote:
      > I always wonder with Lee's distinguished knowledge of
      > tactics,
      > and his awareness of the situation at Petersburg, why did he
      > continue fighting?
      IMHO
      He may have know the War was lost but, could not surrender until
      all his forces were gone, or all his ammo used up, and he was
      completely surrounded. Lee was from West Point, and there they were
      taught that a General did not surrender until these conditions were
      met or he could be tried for treason. I know that that was probably a
      moot point at this time in the conflict, but you have to remember
      that
      Lee lived under a Code of Honor, and to have surrendered too early or
      at all was to shame his name and family and his country. The only
      person that could tell him to lay down his arms was Davis.
      The same held true for the other armies in the field.
      There are (supposed to be)approximately 26,300 on the Appomatox
      Roster that surrendered with Lee. (I had 3 family members that I know
      of so far, on that list.)