Medical Personnel

  • Holtin
    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2000
      Hi, Y'all!

      I am new to the Group, and look forward to meeting all of you.

      I have had the good fortune to become close friends with an Australian
      whose great-grandfather emigrated to America about 1855. In March,
      1861, John Fearn Francis enlisted in New Orleans as a private with the
      28th Thomas' Louisiana Infantry Regiment (Volunteers). He was present
      at Chickasaw Bluffs/Bayou and was paroled at Vicksburg as a 2nd
      Lieutenant. He lived in Mansfield, Louisiana, and was there on 8 April
      1864. After his death at Mansfield, his widow and children returned home
      to Australia. The events at Mansfield are another interesting story
      altogether!

      A question: John Francis' military records show him to be a "Nurse in
      Camp Hospital on Daily Duty", or "Nurse R.H." ("R.H"??? Regimental
      Headquarters, maybe?). My friend remembers family stories about this
      ancestor, including talk of Shiloh, but he can't remember the Shiloh
      connection. Is there any record of medical personnel from other units,
      especially a NEW unit, being sent in to Shiloh AFTER the battle?
      Francis enlisted 29 March 1862; Shiloh was less than ten days later. Is
      that even a possibility? The earliest date shown on the Company Muster
      Rolls and Regimental Returns is 30 April 1862.

      Or maybe it was that the story of Shiloh made such an impression on
      Ellen Francis (his widow) that the story has been passed on down to the
      fourth generation.

      Anyone have any thoughts on this?
      Thanks!

      NetZero - Defenders of the Free World