What if Johnston had replaced Pemberton at vicksburg?

  • Waldemar Winkler
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2000
      While reading another history of the Siege of Vicksburg I came across
      a reference to President Davis dealing with a lot of criticism
      regarding his appointment of Gen. Pemberton to defend Vicksburg. A
      panel of politicians and high ranking officers reviewed Vicksburg's
      defenses.
      The end result left Pemberton in charge, but Joseph Johnston's partng
      comments urged tightening the defensive line so it could be held by a
      "skeleton crew", which would free more troops for the mobile
      perimeter
      defenses. If this had happened, the confederated mobile forces would
      have likely outnumbered Grant's entire army.

      Knowing the history of Pemperton, Grant, and Johnston, and their
      styles of command, I would ask all who are interested to offer what
      they think would have happened had Johnston been apponted commander
      of
      the defenses at Vicksburg?

      Respeckfully,

      Walde