[civilwarwest] Re: Tennessee Regiment's

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 24, 2000
      > The US stones are rounded, and the CS stones have a gentle tent-like
      > slope on top.
      >
      > -dw

      There is an old legend about the difference between the Confederate and
      Union headstones. It seems that while watching some Union dead being
      buried at Arlington Cemetery a Confederate saw the grave diggers sitting
      on the headstones resting during their break. The old Confederate
      thought, our dead will never be dishonored like that. Thus the pointed
      top on the Confederate headstones Vs the rounded top on. Just a legend,
      but makes a nice story.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com