[civilwarwest] Re: western depots and NC troops

  • Terry Arliskas
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 23 2:17 PM
      Hello Michael -

      I checked with my husband who has recently completed a book about
      Confederate Clothing, and he informed of the following regarding North
      Carolina Troops:

      In 1862 North Carolina opted to supply all troops from its state. The
      Confederate Government wanted to take over the textile & military clothing
      industry in North Carolina (as in Atlanta & Columbus, Georgia), but was
      never allowed to by Gov. Vance. Uniform production in N.C. was quite
      prolific, and continued throughout the war. In the summer of 1863, for
      example, North Carolina did donate 10,000 uniforms to the Army of Tennessee,
      and first priority would have gone to N.C. units. In a letter dated 1864,
      State of N.C. Quartermaster General Ira Foster wrote that any North Carolina
      soldier that was not properly clothed was at fault himself, as the state had
      plenty of clothing available for its soldiers.

      Of course as you probably know, the AOT was to use depots set up in their
      particular department, but N.C. troops did have clothing available to them
      at all times during the war. The problem arose in getting uniforms to the
      soldiers in the field. So it is probable that some N.C. soldiers did draw
      from the other depots. And you have to keep in mind that, as in other
      matters, the ANV probably got preferential treatment when it came to uniform
      issue.

      It's hard to say exactly where the four units that you mention drew
      clothing, but you can find that information at the National Archives in D.C.
      to the Regimental Drawers - the QM records still exist and are accessible
      there.

      Hope this helps - any other questions on Conf. clothing, please ask my
      husband, Tom Arliskas - tarliska@....

      Terry Arliskas
      29th Wis. Vols.