[civilwarwest] Re: Artillery at Franklin

  • Wayne Mulig
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 9 5:36 PM
      Andy and Bob,

      I agree with your summations that Hood was not too smart to attack the
      prepared Union positions at Franklin as he did. I am sure a preparatory
      artillery barrage or at least some artillery support would have been
      helpful, but so would the third infantry corps being involved. Judging from
      when S.D. Lee finally arrived at Franklin would probably not have been
      ready to attack much before dark. Would that time waiting for Lee been
      better used to determine weakness of Schofield's right? in actually
      observing the Union positions and the routes that Confederate troops would
      have had to approach the enemy lines? Would Hood succumb to the notion that
      flanking Schofield out of Franklin might have been the better course? And
      would the time spent waiting allowed the Union forces to further strengthen
      their positions? Would Wagner's Division been pulled back from its forward
      position? All the great "what if's", I know ... but is interesting to
      think about the alternatives .... Any thoughts, ladies and gents??

      Sincerely,
      Wayne Mulig