[civilwarwest] Re: Battle of Franklin, Tennessee (Nov 1864) --- Artillery Engaged in Battle

  • Wayne Mulig
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2000

      Have been reading about Atlanta Campaign and Franklin a lot lately and
      almost couldn't find the statement I had mentioned. I did find it in Five
      Tragic Hours: The Battle of Franklin by James L. McDonough and Thomas L.
      Connelly ... On page 65 of that work they discuss the careless behavior of
      Hood in attacking without S.D. Lee's Corps and most of the Army's artillery
      ... "Later, in his memoirs, Hood maintained that he deliberately avoided
      using artillery at Franklin because it would have posed a threat to women in
      children in the village. This is sheer fantasy. Hood did use what artillery
      was available in the assault. Two batteries were on the field and one was
      assigned to each corps." [p.65]

      Thus my original question concerning the identity of the two batteries ...
      *S* ...

      I don't have a copy of Hood's memoirs, but think that would be interesting
      to read .... in their book McDonough and Connelly use it to indicate that
      Hood in later years tended to cover his tracks as best as he could .. as did
      many leaders after the passage of time and the stirrings of controversy ...

      Hope this has proved interesting to you ... and again thanks for your help

      Wayne Mulig