[civilwarwest] Re: Timelines

  • D. Andrew Burden, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 29, 2000
      Kevin:
      Good points. One thing that I really learned from Cozzens' "This
      Terrible Sound" was the disjointed nature of the fighting at
      Chickamauga, at least on the first day (19 Sept.). If you've ever been
      to the field, you can see how impossible it must have been to coordinate
      the efforts of different units. I am fascinated by the psychology of
      command in the war, and can only wonder at the pressure Rosecrans must
      have been under: out of immediate contact with most of your troops, not
      knowing where the enemy was exactly or where he was heading. Must have
      been like playing poker where the stakes were the lives of the men under
      you. And to have to do it on that field of battle must have made it
      many times worse. The stress must have been unbelievable.
      Andy