[civilwarwest] Re: pursuit of Bragg

  • The Coys
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2000
      I'll address some of this but am not sure in which timeframe you
      are addressing. William S. Rosecrans received command of the
      Army of the Cumberland from Don Carlos Buell on October 24,
      1862. This was after the dismal performance of Buell's Army of
      the Ohio at Perryville. Bragg withdrew to Murfreesboro. When
      Rosecrans actually assumes command on October 30, 1862 this,
      according to W.D. Bickham, is what he [Rosey] received:

      "Rosecrans said 'Cavalry are the eyes of the army. They can be
      made its hands and feet.' It was his [Rosecrans] objective to
      elevate that arm to excellence. When he assumed command - he
      supposed he had 12-15 thousand veteran cavalry troops. He was
      surprised and chagrined that he could not muster half that
      number. A portion of these were chiefly valuable for their
      capacity to evade danger and good service. A troop of jockeys
      with riding whips were quite as effective as some of the
      squadron."

      On November 2, 1862, Rosecrans telegraphs War Department/Stanton
      to request more Cavalry and weapons. This is only two days after
      he actually assumed command.

      Also, according to W.D. Bickham:

      "When Rosecrans took over, '10,000 soldiers, heartsick with
      barren efforts and unrequited trials had deserted when the
      columns counter marched to Louisville."

      Still more:

      "Rosecrans hardly dreamed that almost one third of his army was
      in hospitals, or scattered over the great west, fugitives from
      duty to the flag. The army was barely half equipped, and its
      cavalry arm was so inadequate in numbers, and so deficient in
      equipment and discipline, as to excite astonishment and alarm."

      This was the condition of the Army of the Cumberland in November
      1862 which would engage Bragg on December 31, 1862.

      Y.O.S,

      Kevin S. Coy