More on threatened Stones River

  • thecoys@together.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2000
      This is a copy of the letter that will be presented to the Mayor and Council of the City of Murfreesboro.

      Yours in F,C, and L,
      Kevin S. Coy

      To the Mayor and Council of the City of Murfreesboro:

      We, the undersigned, are members of The Friends of Stones River National Battlefield, Inc.

      The Battlefield must be preserved and protected, not only because it is an important National Historic Site, but also because it is important to Murfreesboro, both culturally and economically.  Few cities our size have such an important and valuable historic resource.

      Murfreesboro is beginning the process of improving Manson Pike from Thompson Lane to I-24.  We, The Friends of Stones River National Battlefield, Inc., request that you consider all the alternatives available for this improvement, including as one potential source of an alternative plan the 1996/97 study sponsored by Rutherford County, The City of Murfreesboro and National Park Service American Battlefield Preservation Program.  This study was designed specifically to find ways to meet the traffic needs of the area aound the Battlefield, while preserving and protecting it.

      Current plans include the construction of a major interchange at I-24 and Manson Pike.  There is much concern that this will result in a destruction of the neighborhood and the historic area surrounding the Battlefield.  We ask that the City Council look closely at alternatives to building this interchange, since its construction will irreversibly change and alter the historic areas surrounding it.  Commercial encroachment of the area has already begun with the purchase of the Bluebird property.  We respectfully request that the City Council postpone specific decisions about this area that will foreclose on the options available, and look at other means to satisfy the needs of the city as well as the preservation of Stones River National Battlefield.  This interchange and the improvement of Manson (historic Wilkinson) Pike have created controversy on both the local and national levels, resulting in the battlefield being placed on a list of the 10 most endangered parks in the nation by the National Parks Conservation Association.

      We urge you to protect and preserve the area surrounding the Battlefield.  Once lost, the unique historical integrity of the area can never be recliamed.

    • thecoys@together.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2000
          Dear Kevin,
          I know it's a different war but you may be interested to hear
          that funding has just been obtained to preserve our own local battlefield
          (Fallen Timbers) and use it as the basis for a new National Park.
          The will is out there, so are the funds. Keep up the fight.
          Good luck,
          Graham Lee.
        • grabrulee@aol.com