[civilwarwest] Re: Battle of Champion Hill/Baker's Creek

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2000
      Denis,

      The May/June 1991 issue of Civil War Times Illustrated has an excellent article in it titled, "A Hill of Death" by L.B. Northrop.  Here's the lead in,

      "Called by some the battle of Bakers Creek, by others the Battle of Champion Hill, it may have been the most important fight of the American Civil War.  It's remembered as the battle the North need to win to achieve ultimate victory.  It's remembered as the battle the South need to win if the Confederacy was to survive.  It's remembered as a savage struggle."

      I will see if it is capable of being scanned so if someone needs it later it will be available. This is a fairly old magazine to find just laying around in a store.  Anyway, my scanner really don't like some of the magazine pages because of the background, but this one looks OK. I'll let everyone know what luck I have.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)