[civilwarwest] Confederate Pirates

  • Chris Huff
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2000
      Dear Steve,

      With apologies as I stray from the western theater (Dick, squish this one whenever. I may not always be humble but I am obedient).

      "There was the taking of the steamer Philo Parsons on Lake Erie that included a plan to capture the U.S.S. Michigan. However, The confederate operatives did not meet the definition of "pirates".

      That is, they were not out for personal gain or wealth."

      I think that the piracy part derives from the fact that private, non military craft were the targets of the confederate navy. They set out to disrupt U. S. commerce on the high seas and did, in fact, loot many of the vessels they captured.

      I don't know of the specific incident you describe, but if there was a distinction made, it was probably because the end was a military target, the U.S.S. Michigan and not just civilian shipping.

      Who knows? One man's pirate... There's always been this thing about sailing under a "letter of marque" which is a commission issued during a state of war by one of the belligerent governments authorizing a privateer to attack the ships and seize the  property of a hostile nation on the high seas. The commanders of the Confederate fleet where true naval officers, not private citizens and so they would not have technically been privateers and so not pirates though the newspapers in the North used the word very freely. Any way you cut it though, they sure swashed their buckles! They had a very exciting time of it and were very successful in their endeavors. Read the book. You'll love it!

      Chris Huff
      Atlanta, GA