[civilwarwest] Re: Political smear in 1864

  • Terry Arliskas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2000
      Jack -

      I believe that the book you are thinking of is by the late Frank Klement
      (Prof. at Marquette University) entitled "Dark Lanterns: Secret Political
      Societies, Conspiracies and Treason Trials in the Civil War". Dr. Klement
      also wrote "Copperheads in the Middle West", "Lincoln's Critics: The
      Copperheads of the North", and "The Limits of Dissent: Clement L.
      Vallandigham and the Civil War".

      Clement L. Vallandigham was indeed a "Peace Democrat" congressman from Ohio.
      The "Peace Democrats" were also known as "Butternuts" to their friends,
      and of course, "Copperheads" to their enemies. Vallandigham was determined
      to end the war at all costs, and this determination led to him delivering an
      electrifying speech on May 1, 1863, smack dab in the midst of the crucial
      election campaign seasojn of 1863. He was subsequently arrested by Maj.
      Gen. Ambrose Burnside (then commanding the Department of Ohio after the
      disastrous "mud march" of Dec. 62). Although Vallandigham refused to defend
      himself during his military trial, he did plead his case to the public at
      large. Lincoln had no wish to litigate Burnside's arrest in civil court,
      and decided to reduce his sentence from imprisonment for the duration of the
      war to banishment to the South. Gen. Burnside protested Lincoln's decision
      saying "In case he should now be sent South it would open the Government and
      myself to the charge of having changed the sentence of the commission, which
      in a legally organized court is not possible." His reply from the Lincoln
      administration was that "He [the President] thinks the best disposition to
      be made of Vallandigham is to put him beyond the lines, and directs you
      execute the order without delay." Consequently, Vallandigham was banned to
      the Confederacy, but then went to Canada and returned to the U.S. to
      campaign against Lincoln in 1864, but by then was really not more than a
      political nuisance, having been ousted by his consituents in Ohio by a large
      margin.

      The 1863 arrest of Clement Vallandigham is an interesting side-show to the
      big show. Southern Ohio, Illinois & Indiana did have a lot of Southern
      sympathizers - Company G of the 15th Tennessee Vol. Inf. was composed of
      Illinois men who went south to fight for the Confederacy, as an example.
      But I still stand by my earlier post that the majority of the soldiers in
      the Union Army were Lincoln men - Lincoln knew it himself - "the pen is
      mightier than the sword", etc.

      I close with one last portion of a letter from Henry Walsh, Co. I, 29th Wis.
      to his "Dear Mother", dated Sept. 17, 1864 which just about sums it all up:

      "Charles Merrill (also of Co. I) wrote home a while ago to his father and
      gave the Copperheads fits and his Father opened the letter and scratched out
      "Dear Father" and sent it back to him as much to say he did not own him as a
      son. Charley felt pretty bad about it, but said, "Let him go - there is a
      hear after coming when things will be different". a man that will do that
      to a son of his when he is in the Army ought to be hung. He is worse than a
      Rebel. I would respect a Rebel - a real Butternut more than such a man. I
      tell you the Copperheads has got to look out for themselves when the
      soldiers get home or there will be a war in the North and maby a few less
      Copperheads! They can have their way now, but the time is a coming when
      they will have to keep mum or suffer the consequences. I tell you the Army
      dont make Copperheads by eny means. Men that have come down here and fought
      the Rebels for three years cant stand it to go home and have them praise the
      South and say the North cant whip the South and all such things as that.
      You may think that I am a blowing but I cant help it - it is so! I am a
      Union man and am a going to vote for Abe if I get to vote at all."

      Terry Arliskas