[civilwarwest] Re: Did Lincoln really need Atlanta?

  • Steve Charles
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 25, 2000
      Terry,
      I have to back you up on this one.
      Private Hamilton Coates of the 5th Wisconsin Battery writes in his diary:
      "Tuesday (Nov.) 8. "
      "Election day and we exercised the right of franchise in the battery and
      voted for Abraham Lincoln to be President another term of office".

      Major James A. Connolly, a division staff officer on Gen. Baird's staff.
      Bairds Div., 14th Corps, AOC wrote in his diary of the election also. He
      writes:
      "There are comparatively few McClellan men in the army. In one brigade of
      our division consisting of the 17th, 31st, 89th, & 92nd Ohio, 82nd Ind. and
      23rd Missouri, the vote polled today stood Lincoln 1229, McClellan 101".

      Steve Charles