[civilwarwest] Re: What if

  • Don Myers
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 26, 1999
      Group;

      Just as a post script to my previous reply... I feel that the Union's
      Western Forces held a great deal of admiration from their public at home,
      and from their enemies in the field. I remember seeing a quote from a CSA
      prisoner to the effect "when we say one reb can whip any three yanks, we
      didn't mean you farm boys from out west" (inferring the city slickers from
      the east?). West at that time being Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, etc.
      The label of "bummers" was not applied until Sherman's March to the Sea.
      I will not comment on the appropriateness of his actions or strategy,
      because no ones opinions would be swayed by the discussion I am sure would
      emerge.
      Don Myers