[civilwarwest] Re: Lee/West

  • Dameron McRaven
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 24, 1999
      Dr. Burden,
      I want to address your idea that Bragg would have
      done a better job than Johnston in the defense of Atlanta. I don't believe
      that Bragg would have had nearly as much success as Johnston. By success I
      mean keeping the Army of Tennessee intact, and delaying Sherman's progress.
      Bragg would have been more likely to contest an advance than Johnston, but
      what of the morale of the army. After Chattanooga the army was in very bad
      condition, and was only put back into fighting shape by Johnston's
      assignment to command. Bragg had failed his men too many times, plus all the
      in-fighting in the high command had taken its toll. Had Bragg been in
      command at Dalton when McPherson threatened the flank through Snake Creek
      Gap could he have withdrawn the Army before Sherman cut him off from his
      line of retreat? With the morale so low, and command problems, I don't think
      he could have managed it. THe Atlanta Campaign would have ended months
      earlier. Just my humble opinion.

      Dameron