[civilwarwest] Re: I'm New

  • jbriggs@firaxis.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 28, 1999
      "pam and gary warner" <gpjbwarne-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=161
      > I just found out about this group earlier today. I'm from Ohio and
      have been interested in the ACW since 1961 at age 6. I lived in
      Richmond Va for 10 years so I've been bombarded by that other theater.
      I recently read something that Halleck was at Corinth. I am under the
      opinion that he spent the war in D.C. Can anyone shed any light on
      this? Gary

      Yes. After Shiloh, Grant was under a shadow of mistrust (as he should
      have been -- almost lost that one, no entrenchments, not even with the
      army when the battle started) and Halleck came down and took personal
      command of the combined armies of Grant and Buell. Halleck made a slow
      torturous march from Pittsburg Landing, Where Shiloh was fought to
      Corinth, entrenching every night after moving roughly one mile a day.

      Some background, I think explains this. The casualties at Shiloh were
      horrendous compared to previous battles (I believe they amounted to a
      figure greater than the size of the US army in the Mexican war) and
      Halleck, as well as the rest of the country, was in shock! Halleck
      wanted to take no chances of a repeat -- not on his watch.

      Hope that helps.