[civilwarwest] Re: Bragg ReConsidered???

  • The Coys
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 1999
      sdwakefield@... wrote:

      > GENERAL BRAGG RECONSIDERED?

      Great post and great question. :)

      I for one, hopefully not the only one, agree that Bragg should be
      reconsidered. For that matter the way we all think of the Western Theater
      should be reconsidered, thus this discussion group.

      The heart of Bragg's difficulties can be found in Leonidas Polk. Polk
      deliberately disobeyed his orders during the Kentucky Campaign and every
      chance thereafter. Polk was upset and offered to resign when Beaureguard
      came west so you can imagine how he felt when Bragg was named over him.
      Thus, IMHO, Polk did all that he could to sabotage Bragg.

      One thing I have yet to find is the why of the supposed closeness of
      Davis and Bragg? Johnston, Polk, and Davis were friends at West Point but
      where does Bragg fit into this? Why was Bragg always favored over Polk?

      Bragg never inspired greatness, that is for sure, but he was not helped
      by his subordinates. I even consider Longstreet's behavior after
      Chickamauga, at Wauhatchie(sp) as insubordinate.....but like the Yankee
      history of the western theater, we take what some say as gospel. (Do you
      read my disdain for HUG in that statement) :-)

      Kevin S. Coy