[civilwarwest] Re: Opening gambit

  • L.A. Chambliss
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 8, 1999
      Came through just fine, RWH! Welcome aboard.

      As to the "Kentucky neutrality" issue is concerned, I am sure KyReb and
      others will weigh in with the Southern viewpoint as soon as they get here.

      My take on the matter is that there is no such thing as "neutrality" in a
      situation like this. To paraphrase our friend TJ's book title, one is
      either on the one side or one is on the other. Both Kentucky and Missouri
      (or their governors at any rate) seemed to think they could some how "sit
      out" the fighting and then calmly join up with the winner after all the
      shooting was concluded.

      Fat chance! Kentucky in particular, being the birthplace of both A. Lincoln
      and J. Davis, was not about to be allowed this luxury.

      The Confederate leadership was indeed furious at Polk for crossing the line
      first however. That gave Grant all the excuse he needed, and indeed the
      obligation, to move into the state in force and large numbers.

      Laurie (Xan) Chambliss