[civilwarwest] A Memorium

  • Nonums@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 1999
      The following, I hope you will agree, transcends East and West, North and
      South and even Time itself. I retrieved this last evening from an envelope
      left in my car visor since October when I copied the words from a headstone
      in Richmond's Hollywood Cemetery amid the thousands of markers to the
      Confederate dead. It is verbatim, the only editing is to the spacing to
      emphasis the poetic meter.
      IN MEMORY OF
      Charles Harris McPhail
      A native of Norfolk, Va. And a member of
      Co. G 6th Reg Va Vol
      He fell in the battle's front July 1, 1862 in the 25th year of his age,
      While gallantly charging the enemy at Malvern Hill.
      A devout and humble Christian, A brave and faithful soldier.
      He here makes his last bivouac with thousands of other
      martyred sons of the South who sleep around him -

      Rest on embalmed and sainted dead
      Dear as the blood ye gave.
      Fear not that impious fool shall tread
      The herbage of your grave.

      Your glory shall not be forgot
      While time her record keeps
      Or honor points the hallowed spot
      Where valor proudly sleeps.

      To my dear, departed friend Ernie, a much decorated member of the 82nd and
      his teenage son Tom who was killed at Da Nang, and all of our Charles Harris
      McPhails,Ernies, and Toms:
      Your glory shall not be forgot
      While time her record keeps
      Or honor points the hallowed spot
      Where valor proudly sleeps.

      I do hope, dear reader, you will join in sharing that noble sentiment.
      Yr. obt. svt.,
      Jack O'Connor
    • Nonums@aol.com