Re: [civilwarwest] Re: City Class Gunboats

  • Riley Ewen
    Message 1 of 69 , Sep 14, 2003
      Thanks that clears up everything I'll go get the books now!
      Riley Ewen

      Art Bagley <abagley@...> wrote:
      Hello Riley...

      Don't know if you've found the info you want re: the seven (7) City
      Class ironclads (also known as "Pook's Turtles"), but here's some
      info for you:

      Baron deKalb (formerly St. Louis) -- horizontal yellow stack stripes
      Cairo -- grey stripes
      Carondelet -- red stripes
      Cincinnati -- blue stripes
      Louisville -- green stripes (stacks are taller than others')
      Mound City -- a star on each stack (which tall like Louisville's)
      Pittsburg -- tan stripes

      A couple other ships mimicked the looks, armor, and armament of the
      City Class ships: Benton and Tuscumbia. These two were much larger
      and though they had a multitude of guns, their armor was considered
      light to moderate. All were pretty shallow draft and could handle
      most riverine operations.

      Art Bagley
      Tampa, FL

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor