Re: Were there tides of war in the ACW?

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 11, 2003
      Very well put Harry.

      I would add that during the same time period Van Dorn's efforts in
      southern Mississippi, though tactically unsuccessful, led to the US
      forces falling back to New Orleans, giving up any threat to Vicksburg
      and abandoning Baton Rouge and Natchez. The construction of a
      defensive strongpoint at Port Hudson was then commenced and the
      defensive works of Vicksburg were expanded, thereby significantly
      improving the Confederate control of the river.

      -Will

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@c...>
      wrote:
      > At that point, in the east, the ANV had pushed the federal Army of
      the
      > Potomac off the Peninsula and thrashed the combined AOP/AOV at BR2,
      and were
      > poised to enter Maryland. And at that same time, six Confederate
      armies
      > were either advancing or preparing to advance northward in the other
      > theaters.
      >

      > Kirby Smith had entered Eastern Kentucky.
      >

      > Braxton Bragg and most of the Army of Mississippi and Humphrey
      Marshall with
      > a force from southwestern Virginia were preparing to join Kirby
      Smith.

      > The forces under Sterling Price and Earl Van Dorn were preparing to
      advance
      > through Western Tennessee.
      >

      > William Loring and cavalry under Albert Jenkins were poised to begin
      > operations intended to clear western Virginia.
      >

      > Add to that the less important factor of foreign recognition, and I
      will
      > stick with my vote for this period as the "Flood of the Confederate
      Tide".

      > Harry

      However,
      > I do take your point that many of these were early/mid summer, but
      > thought that such a 'snapshot' overlooked the overall strategic
      > importance to what had been going on around that time ie. the
      > preceeding two months.
      >
      > Am I right in believing you are suggesting that the south was in a
      > better position at the end of summer, say 31st August 1862, than in
      > early/mid summer, say 1st July 1862. This despite the losses on
      all
      > fronts during that summer.
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17
      051262

      78:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124gf29oe/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakena
      ttogyo
      > ?YH=3707890&yhad=1595053> Click Here!
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupmai
      > l/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=738005999>

    • hartshje
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 12, 2003
        Dave,

        If this is some kind of reference to me, please explain.

        Joe Hartshorn

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...>