Re: General swapping

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

      > Couch quit the AoP in disgust at Hooker after C-ville, then got
      > assigned to command in PA (not with the AoP but in the State
      Capitol)
      > during the Gettysburg campaign, then ended up out west during 1864
      > for Nashville and then was in the North Carolina campaign as a
      > division commander (I think).

      You are correct. Somewher by brain wired Sumner being sent west into
      Couch.

      How did Couch get there? I assume he was still active duty after his
      Pa service and was merely assigned west. What did he do between
      July'63 and Dec'64?
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

        > Much is made of Lee's ability to move sub-par performing generals
        out
        > of his theatre.

        S.D. Lee appears to be a CSA general who continued to improve after
        moving west. Nothing spectacular, but he commanded both infantry and
        cavalry in a competent manner.

        Was he moved west for 'pure' reasons? His and EP Alexander's careers
        appear to be very similar in style and substance...

        HankC
      • Martin Williams
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
          Thanks for clearing that up.

          Couch commanded the Department of the Susquehanna from June 11, 1863 to December 1, 1864, when it was renamed the Department of Pennsylvania.   His replacement was George Cadwalader.  This is going outside of the scope of this group, but for what it is worth when Couch took command his headquarters was at Chambersburg and the Department consisted of all of Pennsylvania east of Johnstown.  By the end of the month headquarters was at Harrisburg.  Subsequently the western half of the state and part of Ohio was added to the Department.  When Cadwalader took over headquarters was announced as being at Philadelphia.

        • hartshje
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
            Couch also had a son in the Army of the Potomac who fought with a
            Massachusetts regiment IIRC, and was presumed killed at Cold Harbor
            in 1864. At least, he was never heard from again following that
            battle. Maybe Couch took a leave of absence at this time, before
            heading west (just speculating).

            Joe

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Williams"