Re: General swapping

  • hartshje
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 4, 2003
      I believe you are correct Will. The gang in Washington were
      obessessed with not losing E. Tenn. and so were hounding Grant to
      save Burnside. When Sherman arrived, he was surprised to find the
      Knoxville garrison living high on the hog, and Burnside's men were
      equally shocked that they had supposedly been starving all this
      time. They certainly did not think they needed to be saved.

      Joe

      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > Halleck expected Burnside to move down toward Chattanooga around
      > the time of Chickamauga. I don't think it was a reasonable
      > expectation. I thought, but could be wrong, that the prompting
      > for releif to be sent to Knoxville came from Lincoln.
      >
      > -Will
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > > I may be wrong, but wasn't Burnside expected to assist Grant and
      > > Thomas at Chattanooga more than he did and later he prompted
      > > Sherman's forced march to his releif when none was needed?

    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Martin Williams"
        <williams484@m...> wrote:
        > It was Couch. Sumner had left the Army of the Potomac after
        Fredericksburg and was under orders to take command of the Department
        of Missouri when he died in March, 1863 (thus giving Schofield his
        first big chance, I think).

        Correct. I was confused - no longer.

        > As for Rosecrans, he apparently was so rattled by events at
        Chickamauga that he was fairly ineffective commanding in Missouri in
        1864, especially when he had to deal with Price's invasion. (And I
        would not have counted him in this regard because he moved from one
        western command that happened to be east of the other western command
        he moved to. I also wouldn't count him as a failed eastern general-
        McClellan took the credit for the campaign he managed in western
        Virginia in 1861, he was displaced from that command to give Fremont
        something important to do the following year and he was later
        assigned to relieve Pope in command of the Army of the Mississippi.)

        Rosecrans did a good administrative job of integrating militia,
        volunteers and regular army in alleviating the Missouri guerilla war
        in 1864. (At least from a military aspect, the civilians may care do
        differ.) He improved the system of fortified block houses, created a
        system of cavalry sweeps and 'armored' railroad cars for better
        defense against marauders.

        Rosecrans sent a force that deflected Price's 1864 raid at Ironton
        away from St. Louis into the Missouri hinterlands where it pretty
        much died of it's own weight and lack of purpose.

        HankC
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
          <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

          > Couch quit the AoP in disgust at Hooker after C-ville, then got
          > assigned to command in PA (not with the AoP but in the State
          Capitol)
          > during the Gettysburg campaign, then ended up out west during 1864
          > for Nashville and then was in the North Carolina campaign as a
          > division commander (I think).

          You are correct. Somewher by brain wired Sumner being sent west into
          Couch.

          How did Couch get there? I assume he was still active duty after his
          Pa service and was merely assigned west. What did he do between
          July'63 and Dec'64?
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

            > Much is made of Lee's ability to move sub-par performing generals
            out
            > of his theatre.

            S.D. Lee appears to be a CSA general who continued to improve after
            moving west. Nothing spectacular, but he commanded both infantry and
            cavalry in a competent manner.

            Was he moved west for 'pure' reasons? His and EP Alexander's careers
            appear to be very similar in style and substance...

            HankC
          • Martin Williams
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
              Thanks for clearing that up.

              Couch commanded the Department of the Susquehanna from June 11, 1863 to December 1, 1864, when it was renamed the Department of Pennsylvania.   His replacement was George Cadwalader.  This is going outside of the scope of this group, but for what it is worth when Couch took command his headquarters was at Chambersburg and the Department consisted of all of Pennsylvania east of Johnstown.  By the end of the month headquarters was at Harrisburg.  Subsequently the western half of the state and part of Ohio was added to the Department.  When Cadwalader took over headquarters was announced as being at Philadelphia.

            • hartshje
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 5, 2003
                Couch also had a son in the Army of the Potomac who fought with a
                Massachusetts regiment IIRC, and was presumed killed at Cold Harbor
                in 1864. At least, he was never heard from again following that
                battle. Maybe Couch took a leave of absence at this time, before
                heading west (just speculating).

                Joe