[civilwarwest] Hallo to Western Theatre

  • John Harrison
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 1999
      Dear Group,

      I have recently subscribed to this group and I would like to say "hi".

      Despite being British - and living in London - my main historical interest is the American Civil War, particularly the Western Theatre and particularly the Army of Tennessee, so I was very pleased to "find" this group.

      I am currently reading "Decision In The West - the Atlanta Campaign of 1864" by Albert Castel - good stuff, I think, and have recently finished Archer's "Grant Wins The War - Decision at Vicksburg". On turning points of the War, I have heard claims for the fall of Vicksburg - the Archer book - and the fall of Atlanta - (MacPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom and, I presume, but I haven't got that far yet, the Castel book), even the fall of Fort Donelson (vaguely floated in Hattaway and Jones' "How The North Won The Civil War")

      My vote - had I been able to join in - would probably have been the ultimate failure of the Chickamauga concentration, both on the battlefield and in the follow-up. I think that ultimately barren victory showed the South it just couldn't win, despite going so far to restore Southern morale after the twin failures of the Vicksburg surrender and the Pennsylvania invasion (raid).

      I look forward to debating these issues with you all.

      John Harrison
    • dmercado@worldnet.att.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 1999
        "john harrison" <j.a.harriso-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=196
        > Dear Group,
        >
        > I have recently subscribed to this group and I would like to say "hi".
        >
        > SNIP
        >
        > I am currently reading "Decision In The West - the Atlanta Campaign
        of 1864" by Albert Castel - good stuff, I think,

        > My vote - had I been able to join in - would probably have been the
        ultimate failure of the Chickamauga concentration, both on the
        battlefield and in the follow-up. I think that ultimately barren
        victory showed the South it just couldn't win, despite going so far to
        restore Southern morale after the twin failures of the Vicksburg
        surrender and the Pennsylvania invasion (raid).

        > I look forward to debating these issues with you all.
        >
        > John Harrison

        John,
        I thought Castel's "Decision in the West" to be a very book book. He
        thought highly of my 'hero' Gen. George Thomas. On the question of
        Chickamauga as a turning point, you have a good point. If the AOT had
        been able to follow up their victory and force the union out of
        Chattanooga, they would control all of Tennessee, and the Altanta
        Campaign would have been delayed for months and Atlanta would have been
        in strong Confederate hands during the 1864 elections. Thomas' stand at
        Horseshoe Ridge looms very large from this perspective. Regards, Dave
      • dmercado@worldnet.att.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 1999