Re: Perryville article

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2003
      Mark, you will find out in the course of your study of the ACW, that
      the behavior of the Yankees was, well, quite odious in general. I just
      wouldn't want to go into it any further [g].
      Carl

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Peters" <mark-peters@m...>
      wrote:

      > I hope that local lore is correct, in this case. I'll try not to be
      > too judgemental, but it seems somewhat repugnant to only bury one's
      > own dead, and leave the bodies of the opposition to the elements,
      > when not in any danger from attack.

      [...]
    • slippymississippi
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hartshje" <Hartshje@a...> wrote:
        > Carl,
        >
        > Very good article. Sounds like Mr. H. Bottom wasn't much
        > impressed by the "glory" of war. I'm amazed at the detail
        > in this account, given that it appeared in a modern newspaper.
        > What prompted this article to be published in a Washington paper?

        Washington Times:Newspapers::FoxNews:Network News

        In other words, the Washington Times (owned and operated by the
        Moonie church, BTW) is more of a neo-con propaganda rag than a
        newspaper. I've seen some pretty wacky stuff there, and if some
        glassy-eyed acolyte starts a sentence with "Well, I read in the
        Washington Times..." I usually ignore everything that follows.

        That being said, they usually work a lot of good ACW material into
        their special interests section, and I'm not sure what the connection
        is... although I'm a little bit worried by the association.
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
          I don't know if you can conclude much from these things... the wall
          street journal is conservative in its op-ed and liberal in its
          news section, they say. And not the only newspaper that is
          inconsistent this way... the civil war page in the W.T. seems
          ideologically neutral, so you can tread fearlessly there.
          Carl

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
          <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:

          > Washington Times:Newspapers::FoxNews:Network News
          >
          > In other words, the Washington Times (owned and operated by the
          > Moonie church, BTW) is more of a neo-con propaganda rag than a
          > newspaper. I've seen some pretty wacky stuff there, and if some
          > glassy-eyed acolyte starts a sentence with "Well, I read in the
          > Washington Times..." I usually ignore everything that follows.
          >
          > That being said, they usually work a lot of good ACW material into
          > their special interests section, and I'm not sure what the
          connection
          > is... although I'm a little bit worried by the association.
        • hartshje
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2003
            wrote:
            > I hope that local lore is correct, in this case. I'll try not to
            > be too judgemental, but it seems somewhat repugnant to only bury
            > one's own dead, and leave the bodies of the opposition to the
            > elements, when not in any danger from attack.
            >
            > In fear of being too morbid, I trust respect was generally shown to
            > the dead and treatment was accorded to the injured of both sides,
            > during the length of the conflict. Other than the odd (much
            > written about events), atrocities seem to have been the exception,
            > rather than the rule.

            Mark,

            I'm sure someone in the group is quite knowledgeable concerning the
            aftermath of battles, and taking care of the dead and wounded. My
            own knowledge is somewhat limited, but I think that what usually
            occurred with burial was that the victorious army would try to
            indentify its own dead and give them individual burials, but most of
            the enemy's dead usually ended up in mass graves. Since the battles
            occurred in the South (with a few exceptions), a lot of the
            Confederate dead were claimed by their families and transported back
            home. The sheer number of dead meant that many times overworked
            burial parties didn't always do the best job at digging graves, as I
            have read accounts of remains being rooted up by wild animals, or
            exposed by heavy rainstorms. Further, I believe that after the war,
            most of the dead ended up being re-interred in formal cemeteries.

            Joe
          • Daniel F. Giallombardo
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                  Morning all,
                  I'm away from my books, but if memory serves, Joe's summary is correct. Generally speaking, and I stress generally speaking, the enemy dead were given a mass burial. Long and wide trenches were dug and with less ceremony than practicality and celerity [most of the time] the dead were tossed into it.
                  Wounded were treated by medical staff, but after the wounded on one's own side. Hope this is helpful---Dan

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/GmiolB/TM

            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 3, 2003
                In a message dated 9/3/2003 10:14:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ParrotheadDan@... writes:

                Generally speaking, and I stress generally speaking, the enemy dead were given a mass burial. Long and wide trenches were dug and with less ceremony than practicality and celerity [most of the time] the dead were tossed into it.
                   Wounded were treated by medical staff, but after the wounded on one's own side. Hope this is helpful---Dan

                At times, a truce was requested to pick up the dead and wounded from a battlefield.  The request may be honored or rejected according to the Commanders.  For example:  Beauregard requested a truce in order to retrieve the dead and wounded from Shiloh battlefield, but the request was denied and was told that burial procedures were already being taken care of.  Yeah - thrown in trench.  Other times, the truce was honored and the wounded and dead were able to be retrieved.  Yet again, at Resaca, many Confederates were buried in a very shallow grave where they fell, only to be reinterred later on shortly after the battle by a daughter of a plantation owner and reburied properly at the Confederate Cemetery that can be seen today.

                JEJ